Portray Bond With Creative Twin Newborn Photoshoot Ideas
Can I be honest? Twin babies are the cutest thing on earth. They play, cry, revolt, share food, grow, and develop together. It’s like they are two peas in a pod. Though photographing them is a hard job because it takes immense patience, flexibility, time, and technique, it is also one of the most fun things to do. You just have to do 5 things. Pre-plan the photoshoot, prepare the children, keep them calm, arrange the equipment, take photos in different poses with family and individually, and make sure one does not cast a shadow over the other. So, read our twin newborn photoshoot ideas article for more details and creative ideas to make twins' photos amazingly beautiful and different from others.
Plan the Newborn Twin Photoshoot Beforehand
Taking a child’s image is no easy job. Before and during the photo sessions, you may have to make some modifications depending on the twin's condition. So, making a prior plan for the photo shoot will help you make the most of that time. Also, you will be able to try many new things and poses with the twins. Now, how to plan the shoot?
- Check Google and Pinterest for twin photoshoot ideas. These two places have every type of image reference for you to try. Look for unique ideas and implement those in your newborn twin photography.
- Have a consultation with the parents about twins' gender, and if they have any color preferences or any poses they want to try. Try to make them feel at home.
- If the parents do not know what sort of poses they want to try, show them your plan and work together to select the poses.
- Arrange the props and dresses before the photoshoot. Try to order them as early as possible but if you just learned the gender of the twin before the shoot, contact the stores that can send you clothes in a short time.
- Also, learn about the twins' sleeping and eating times and try to schedule the photo shoot at that time. Because they will stay calmest at those times.
- Twin photography takes time so at least keep 4 hours in hand to take images perfectly. It can take more time depending on the kid’s condition.
The Things You Need for Twins Photography
These things play a huge role in twin photography. As you are photographing two people in different positions, they can cast shadows on one another. So, you need to use this in a way that the shadows come soft and natural.
Bed/Sofa Bed/Sofa/Moses Basket
You need to keep the babies in a soft and cozy place to make them feel comfortable. So, use a bed, sofa, sofa bed, or Moses basket to take the photos. And if they do not calm down and keep on crying, take images while parents or siblings hold them up
Soft natural lighting that comes from the window is best for taking newborn images. Whether you are taking just twin newborn photos individually or with family, using sunlight is the best choice for getting a natural vibe in the image.
For taking twin babies' photos individually, use top-down natural lighting and side natural lighting. For top-down natural lighting, place the twins in a way that the light fall on top of the twin babies' head and goes over their body like showering them. And for side natural lighting, you need to make sure that light and shadow mix well creating a nice soft lighting and dramatic look. In side lighting, you usually highlight one part of the body and blur out the other parts. It creates a dramatic effect and tells a story at the same time.
You can also use direct sunlight or outdoor lighting for a family/individual photoshoot. However, do not take it at noon. The light will be too bright and the picture will come out all white. Take the images in the early evening or in the golden hour to create soft shadows.
Use Cute Props
The props you can use for newborn twin photography are limitless. For example, cute toys, frames, cute clothes, same clothes, dolls, cute bands, fairy tale clothes like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Red Riding Hood, etc. You can also use the box, Moses basket, bowl, raw wool layers, blankets, etc. Use any props you think are best to make the twins look beautiful and tell a story. However, make sure they are comfortable.
Camera Settings and Reflectors
Your usage of the exposure triangle and reflector will ensure the creating of a softer shadow surrounding the twins. This is the setting I use to take the images.
- ISO- 100 or 200. Using low ISO is good for taking noiseless images.
- Aperture- If you are focusing on the twins and blurring out the background use F/2.8. It will keep the twins in a sharp focus. And if you are taking family photos outdoors, use F/8/9/10 for more depth of field. It will make the background look further and keep all the props and subjects in focus.
- Shutter Speed- Closing the shutter speed faster will freeze the moment and let less light in through the lens. However, letting some light will make the image look alive. So, start from 1/125 to 1/250 and adjust it following the image contrast.
- Raw- Use raw mode to capture all the details and information.
- Reflectors- As you are taking photos in natural lighting, the lighting can be harsh and create harsh shadows. So, use the mirror as the reflector on the opposite side of the window to bounce back the light on the baby’s face.
Have a Separate Resting Room
Always keep a separate room ready in case children start to cry. keep the room slightly dark, and prepare some toys, a rocker, and a bed. If you can arrange a bit bigger room so that you can walk with the kids to calm them.
Hire an Assistant, Have Patience, Stay Attentive, and Have Fun
Kids are the cutest to photograph but they are troublesome as well. While adults know how to pose and they are being photographed, newborns do not know that so anything can happen during the photoshoot. So, you need to be prepared for everything.
- Be Patient- You need to be patient during the photo shoot. Between twins, one can be quiet and another can be hard to settle so take them to another room to calm them down. Make sure that another twin does not wake up. If the two awake, it will be two times harder to calm them down. Also, during photo shoots, they can poop, start crying or vomit so always be prepared for anything.
- Stay Attentive- Ensure the newborn twin's safety. Usually, photography is done from 4 weeks of age to 7 weeks of age. So, they are quite fragile and can get hurt at any time. Make sure they do not get hurt in the process of being photographed. Keep them in cozy and soft places.
- Hire an Assistant- It is quite hard work to manage two children and do the photography at the same time. So, hire a person who is good with kids. So, while you change the setting or do other work they can take care of the kids. Also, observe them during the photoshoot.
- Have Fun- You can try many cute things while taking the twin's photos, so enjoy the process.
15 Twin Newborn Photoshoot Ideas for Creating Memories
I will tell you some cute and fantastic twin newborn photoshoot ideas that you can do with family and with twins and show a great connection among them. Work on getting the twin's and family’s expressions for portraits because that will show their bond. So, without further ado, let’s see some family photoshoot ideas.
Note: Read this article to know the difference between Headshot and Portrait photographs.
Twins with Pets
First, make sure the twins are calm or asleep. Place them on a Moses Basket. On the basket, place raw wool layers to keep them comfortable and put a blanket over them. Then sit the pet beside them. Also, you can try other places and positions like a bed or any flat place. Try to make it look like the pet is protecting the twins. Because in reality pets are something that goes through thick and thin with the babies and become their best friend. So, try to show a connection in the photo.
Twins with the Mother
You can try many things with the mother to show their love and connection with the twins. For example, Make the mother hold the babies on her lap, place them on the mother’s belly like they were when the mother was pregnant, or make the mother hold the babies in her one or two hands with the babies on their back. Also, around her neck.
Twins with the Father
For father and twins photography, use a theme like father is loving the babies or protecting them. Like placing a kiss on both babies' heads or holding them with one hand. You can also try some funny poses like, the father holding babies on their back with one hand and showing mussels with another hand.
Twins with the Siblings
Taking newborn twins photos with their parents is easy. However, it is not the same with siblings. Maybe older but they are also children so first make them feel comfortable. Let them do any poses they like and guide them slowly. Meanwhile, make the twins asleep, wrap them up then do the photography. You can place the twins on the sibling's neck on two sides and take the photo from up. Or place the twins on their two hands.
Twins with Parents
For the parents and twins photography, you can try many poses like the mother is holding twins and kissing the father and father placing a hand on the mother’s hand portraying the protection and happiness. Have the parents express their happiness in the photos for getting the blessings of the twins with gestures, body language, and expressions.
Twins with Family
Now, it is time to take the family photo. You can do it both outdoors and indoors. In the photos, just portray their bond with natural lighting and feeling.
Now that the newborn photos with family is done, let’s go and see some twin photoshoot ideas on how you can take twins' photos alone.
Place Them in the Heart
Iron bed sheets and make a heart shape. Place the babies like this in the photo or face each other or in opposite directions like they were in their mother’s womb. The heart shape is the creative version of the womb.
Small Cute Sofa or Moses Basket
Using a Moses Basket and raw wool layers is a very common and popular practice for newborn twins photography. However, you can take it to another level with your creativity. How? Use a cute small sofa or box or Moses basket and place a raw wool layer over it. Add some props beside it like plants, flowers, paper birds, or light it with fairy lights. Wrap the babies and position them.
Note: raw wool layers come in different styles and they are soft and comfortable so placing them anywhere will make the place cozy for the twins.
Cute Animal Hats
You can take pictures of twins with cute animal hats like bears, rabbits, pandas, tigers, etc. Just wrap them up with stretchy wraps and put the hats on their heads. Take the images while they are asleep. Babies feel comfortable wrapped up so they usually do not wake up with the hats.
The twins came into this world together and so it is a great pose for showing their bond. Do this pose while they are asleep. Wrap them up in one stretchy wrap and place one twin's hand under another twin's neck wrapping it a little and make them hold the hands. Later, write in the caption: This is how you came into this world so protect each other. This is what I thought after seeing the photo but if you think it is too cringy, ignore it.
Hands and Feet
Not only do the full body photos look beautiful but also hands and feet images also look nice. For example, putting twins side by side and taking images of their legs only with a blurry background. You can also take parent’s help for taking the images.
Same Clothes and Accessories
You can dress them with cute similar clothes and accessories for taking the images. Place them in Moses's basket and take the images from up. For this pose, ask parents for dress recommendations and decide on the dress together. Order it early so that it can arrive on time.
Wait Till They Smile
Do you know that babies smile in their sleep? If you can, try this style for twin poses. However, it does not always happen. So, if you are lucky to see their happy sleeping smiles, capture the images at that moment. You can also make them smile while they are awake and take the image.
Let Them Do Whatever They Want
Leave the babies alone and capture their raw moments for future memories. For example, if they are throwing hands or making different gestures, capture it.
Show Sleeping Habits
Every child has some sleeping habits. Though we can not always capture it, we can always make it to tease them in the future. So, create funny sleeping poses for the twins for fun. How? It is easy. Place them on the bed and create different postures with feet and hands.
Some More Ideas for Taking Twin Newborn Pictures
- Take the images in the Birds Nest. Make a bird nest, light them up with fairy lights, place a soft cloth in the nest, and put the babies in the nest wrapped up. It is a funny twin photoshoot idea. If your baby asks in the future where did I come from? Show them the pic and tell them you came from the egg.
- Make them wear their parent’s childhood clothes. You can also ask the parents for their childhood photos and make the same dresses for the twins to wear for the photoshoot.
- Use Balloons and age numbers. Place the babies in a basket, hang the balloons with the basket handle, and place the age banner in front. Make sure the babies can be seen properly in the photos.
- Children For Sale. Here’s another crazy idea for teasing the twins in the future. Again, position them in a box wearing cute clothes and write “Children for sale” on a board. However, take the images while they are awake. It will make the image more convincing that the parents really wanted to sell them.
- Ultrasonogram images. For this, you have to take the image before the delivery. Tell the parents to keep the ultrasonogram photo and take the image with parents at the scheduled time.
Retouch the Images
Since twin photography is done both indoors and outdoors, you may have to do a lot of editing to perfect the images. How?
- Check for Lighting. Since you have used natural lighting, it may look uneven in some places. So, make it even in all places by retouching. The picture needs to be perfectly lit and even in all places.
- Remove unnecessary props. Since many props are used for twin pictures, some props may not look well in the final image. So, edit them in Photoshop and retouch the place.
- Naturalize the shadows. If the shadows look harsh and long, make them normal. A light and soft shadow will give the image a realistic natural vibe. Make it more real and alive.
- Retouch the Skin. Remove wrinkles and stray hairs. Soften the skin and make it glow by retouching. Try to provide a natural look on the twins and their family members especially, newborn twins they have light, dry, and flaky skin. So, while retouching keep their skin tone in mind and do not over retouch.
- Remove any distractions. While taking photos outdoors, anything can come in the photo like a fly, etc. If the object is making the image quality bad, remove it.
Take Our Professional Newborn Photo Editing Service
Perfect Retouching does creative newborn photo editing. Our professional retouchers smooth the skin and provide a natural tone. We also retouch hair, nose, eyes, and cheeks and remove backgrounds and unwanted objects. We make the newborn images pleasant, natural, and real. Quality is our biggest priority and we deliver with perfection.
Though it is not mentioned in our Portrait Retouching Service. We provide Newborn Photo Editing Services for our clients. So, take a free trial to check the quality of the images then decide. Test Us!
Try Retouching Services For Free and you'll love it!If you need to check our retouching output, don’t miss the chance of getting quality services.
Now that the photography is done, it is time to send the images to the client. You can tell a beautiful story with all the images. Combine the images, place them side by side based on the theme, and make an album with it. Then the album will tell how happy the family is on the twins’ arrival and show their beautiful bond.